Notes and Credits section below
for discussion of the evidence and citation of sources.
Full Name: Asa B. McClelland
Asa McClelland Jr
Notes and Credits section below.
1810: in Franklin township, Greene Co PA.
Asa B. McClelland's Will, Registered Oct 19, 1854, in Greene County, Will Book 3, pages 171 and 172, No 1604.
See also the court records listed on Nancy McClelland's Family Page.
Certificate of Death for Dawson McClelland, Greene County, PA. A photocopy of the record was sent to me by Dallas Briggs. He found the record on LDS microfilm, but is not sure of the film number (I will try to verify the number).
Transcription of family records from Asa B. McClelland's Bible, found in Levi R. McFann's pension file.
William McClelland obiturary, Waynesburg Messenger, 11 August 1880. Cited by Candice Buchanan in her "Descendants of Thomas Buchanan", published on The Candy Buchanan Home Page. I have not seen this obituary.
Contemporary Published Sources:
"A. B. McClelland" in Bates, Samuel P., A Biographical History of Greene County Pennsylvania, excerpted from Bates, Samuel P., History of Greene County, Pennsylvania (Chicago, 1888; re-titled and reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Company, Baltimore, 1975; Reprinted for Clearfield Co, 1993), pg 588. This Asa B. McClelland was the son of Dawson McClelland and Sarah Hughes.
Hanna, Rev William, History of Greene County, PA (1882). Reprinted by Closson Press. On page 252 is some information on the family of David Buchanan, including the information that his sister Elizabeth married William McClelland.
Secondary Published Sources:
Buchanan, Candice L., "Descendants of John Thomas Rinehart", on The Candy Buchanan Home Page. Contains information on Levi Rinehart. The author cites her sources.
Buchanan, Candice L., "Descendants of Thomas Buchanan", on The Candy Buchanan Home Page. Contains information on William McClelland and Elizabeth Buchanan. The author cites her sources.
Leckey, Howard L., The Tenmile Country and its Pioneer Families: A Genealogical History of the Upper Monongahela Valley (Waynesburg, PA: Waynesburg Republican, 1950). This work contains a short history of the Cary McClelland family (pages 467--468). Leckey asserts that Asa McClelland is a son of Cary McClelland. It also contains a short history of the William Brown family (pages 389--390). Leckey asserts that William Brown's daughter Catherine was the first wife of Asa McClelland. Since Leckey does not cite his sources, I have not relied on his work (see Note 1 and Note 2 below).
McClellan, Ted, "Descendants of William 'Doc' McClelland" on The Ted McClellan Family Home Page. Ted McClellan asserts that Asa McClelland is a descendant of William McClelland of Fayette Co, PA (see Note 1 below). Since McClellan does not cite his sources, I have not relied on his work.
1. In The Tenmile Country and its Pioneer Families (cited above), Leckey asserts that Asa B. McClelland's father is Cary McClelland (page 468). Some more recent family histories identify Asa McClelland's father as William McClelland of German township, Fayette Co PA. An example of the latter is Ted McClellan's "Descendants of William "Doc" McClelland" (cited above). But since neither Leckey nor McClellan cite their sources, I have not relied on their work. I have not seen any evidence that would link Asa B. McClelland to Cary McClelland or to William McClelland.
2. In the The Tenmile Country and its Pioneer Families (cited above), Leckey asserts that Asa McClelland's first wife was Catherine Brown (page 390). Leckey reports that Asa McClelland was joined by his wife Catherine in an 1810 deed for the sale of a lot in Waynesburg. He speculates that Catherine died before 1843 when Asa McClelland made deeds in which no wife joined (390). Asa McClelland's wife, Eliza, is named in his will. Eliza is 49 years old in the 1850 census and, therefore, too young to be Nancy McClelland's mother. Furthermore, the 1840 census shows no woman in Eliza's age bracket in Asa McClelland's household.
3. The names of Asa B. McClelland's children are given in his will. Their dates of birth are calculated from the census records. Maria's date of death is from the transcription of family records from Asa B. McClelland's Bible that was found in his grandson's pension file. Dawson's date of death is from his certificate of death (cited above) and matches the date of death given for Dorsey McClelland in the Bible records.
4. The married name (Porter) of Elizabeth McClelland is from Asa McClelland's will.
5. The married name (Rinehart) of Maria McClelland is from Asa McClelland's will. In the The Tenmile Country and its Pioneer Families (cited above), Leckey asserts that Maria married Levi Rinehart. There is a date of death given for a Levi Rinehart in the Bible records, which appears to corroborate Leckey's assertion. In her "Descendants of John Thomas Rinehart" (cited above), Candice Buchanan identifies this Levi Rinehart as the son of Thomas Rinehart and Hannah Inghram and gives his year of birth as 1795.
6. William McClelland's date of death, place of burial, the citation for his obiturary, and the maiden name (Buchanan) of his wife Elizabeth were taken from Buchanan's "Descendants of Thomas Buchanan" (full citation above). Buchanan cites her sources.
Revised: 24 November 1999