Notes and Credits section below
for discussion of the evidence and citation of sources.
Full Name: Andrew Jackson McFann
Margaret Elizabeth Brown Keister
Children of Andrew J. McFann and Mary Mouler:
Dennis H. McFann
Eliza J. McFann
Children of Andrew J. McFann and Elizaberh Keister:
Grace R. McFann
Legrand B. McFann
Wells A. McFann
Oscar F. McFann
Andrew J. McFann
William Wilson McFann
Helena Rivers McFann
Notes and Credits section below.
1840: Vernon Township, Scioto Co, OH (National Archives Microfilm M704, Roll 425, pg 121)
Marriage record, Jackson McFann to Mary Mouler, 18 June 1840, Lawrence County, Vol. 1-3, Page 328, No. 1302. A copy of the record was obtained by Terry Turley. I thank Terry for sending me a transcription of the record.
Marriage Records of Scioto Co., Ohio 1803 - 1860 by Caryn R. Fuller Shoemaker and Betty J. Sisler Rudity (1987). Contains an extract of the Scioto County marriage record for Andrew J. McFann and Nancy Andre. The information from this source was extracted for me by Scioto County lookup volunteer Judith Burkhardt.
Marriage Index: Kentucky 1851--1900, Family Archive CD 233, (Broderbund Software). Contains information from the Greenup Co, KY marriage record for Andrew J. McFann and Lizzie B. Keister. The CD cites Microfilm Number 0343995 - 0343996, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT. The information was extracted for me by a lookup volunteer from the Genealogy CD List.
Andrew J. McFann's bible, now in the possession of Marilyn Woodard Lentz. There is a page in the bible with dates of birth and death for David McFann (born 1772) and (we are assuming) his wife and children. Andrew J. McFann's name does not appear on this page. Other pages in the bible give dates of birth for the children of Andrew J. Mcfann's first marriage and the children of his third marriage. For more information about this bible and a transcription of the records contained in it, see Andrew J. McFann's Bible on the "Family Bible Records" page of this site and the Andrew Jackson McFann page on Marilyn's family history web site.
Letter from Helena (Lena) Rivers McFann to Iris McFann Woodard, now in the possesion of Marilyn Woodard Lentz. The author gives her mother's full name, birth date, place of birth, parents' names and other information on the Keisters.
Andrew J. McFann obituary, date and name of newspaper unkown. You can see a scan of this obituary on the Andrew Jackson McFann page of Marilyn Woodard Lentz's family history web site. See note 8 below.
The Andrew Jackson McFann page on Marilyn Woodard Lentz's family history web site. This page contains a picture of A. J. McFann, information on the family bible that may once have belonged to him, a scan of his obituary, and information on his descendants.
1. The father of Andrew J. McFann is believed to be David McFann (born 1772). The strongest evidence is a page in the family bible in the possession of Marilyn Woodard Lentz that gives the names and dates of birth (and some dates of death) for David McFann, Mary McFann (who we assume was David's wife), and five others (that we are assuming were his children). Marilyn believes that the bible belonged to Andrew J. Mcfann, but there is nothing in the bible that reveals who its original owner was. Another clue is the appearance of a Mary McFann in Andrew J. McFann's household in the 1850 and 1860 census who is old enough to be the Mary McFann (born in 1771 or 1779) listed in the bible. David McFann is the only head of household named McFann that appears in either Lawrence or Scioto County in 1820; and David McFann's household, as enumerated in the 1820 and 1830 census, could have included Andrew J. McFann. The main puzzle is why the list of David's children in the bible ends with Mary McFann (born 1809) and does not include Andrew J. McFann.
2. Andrew Jackson McFann's date of birth is from his family bible and agrees with the 1900 census. His date of death is from his tombstone (as reported by Marilyn Woodard Lentz).
3. The date of birth for Dennis McFann is as recorded in the McFann family bible in the possession of Marilyn Woodard Lentz. This date is consistent with his age as reported in the 1860 and 1870 census of Cass County, IN; but it is not consistent with his age as reported in the 1850 census of Scioto County, OH. Note also that his parents were married in June of 1840. The county in which Dennis was born was recorded in the 1860 census. For the time being, I am using dates of birth for Demetrius and Eliza J. McFann that are derived from their ages as reported in the 1860 census.
4. The maiden name of Dennis McFann's wife and the date of their marriage is from "Marriage and Death Notices from the Lutheran Observer", issue of 22 March, 1861, pg 219, as reported in the South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, vol 1--20, a database available on the Ancestry.com web site. The marriage was also reported in the Logansport Democratic Pharos according to the index compiled by Lisa R. Ford.
5. The date of Andrew Jackson McFann's marriage to Mary Mouler is from the Scioto County record of the marriage. This record was first brought to my attention by Martha Bash in message 18 on GenForum's McFann Family Genalogy Forum. A copy of the record was obtained by Terry Turley. I thank Terry for sending me a transcription of the record. Her date of birth is from Andrew J. McFann's bible.
6. The dates of birth and death for Nancy Andre McFann are from her cemetery inscription. The date of her marriage to Andrew Jackson McFann was taken from the Marriage Records of Scioto County, OH, 1803--1860 (cited above).
7. Andrew J. McFann's third wife appears in the records as Elizabeth or Lizzie. But according to a letter written by her daughter, Helena R. McFann, her full name was Margaret Elizabeth Brown Keister (the letter is cited above and is now in the possession of Marilyn Woodard Lentz.
8. Andrew J. McFann's obituary asserts that he married a sister of President Ruthford B. Hayes and that this relationship was discovered by research made at the request of McFann's descendants in Arkansas. The obituary identifies Demetrius and Eliza as the children of this marriage. But we have a record for the marriage of Jackson McFann and Mary Mouler in June 1840; and the 1850 census shows A. J. McFann with wife Mary and children Dennis, Demetrius, and Eliza (relationships are not stated in the 1850 census, so we are assuming that Mary was his wife and the others were their children). We also have a record for the marriage of A. J. McFann to Nancy Andre in December of 1852. But as far as I know there is no evidence that Andrew J. McFann ever married anyone that could have been the sister of Rutherford B. Hayes. There is a record of the marriage of David McFann (born 1806) to a Rachel Hays in 1840, and this may be the source of the asserted connection to the family of President Hayes ---but that is only a guess. I do not know anything more about the research that "brought out the Presidential relationship" other than what was said about it in the obituary. The obituary also states that Dennis and Eliza "died without issue". But the 1870 census of Cass Co, IN shows that Dennis had three children, one of whom was named Andrew J. McFann.
This page is part of the McFann Family History web site maintained by Brian D. McFann
Revised: 10 July 2000