Notes and Credits section below
for discussion of the evidence and citation of sources.
Full Name: James Preston McFann
Father: Asa B. McFann
Mother: Amanda A. Martin
Laura May Knowles
Daisie A. McFann
Hattie B. McFann
Foster R. McFann
Herschel B. McFann
Blanche M. McFann
Ralph G. McFann
Notes and Credits section below.
1860: in the household of his father, Asa B. McFann, Chester township, Wabash Co, IN (pg 345).
Ralph G. McFann, Prominent Denver Mining Man Dies", Denver Post, 13 November 1941, page 35. This obituary was found and transcribed for me by Rita Timm.
Crown Hill Cemetery inscriptions for James P., Laura May, Ralph G., Herschel B., Blanche D., and Nora T. McFann; and Blanche M. (McFann) Semones. These cemetery inscriptions were transcribed by Rita Timm.
Crown Hill Cemetery records, Crown Hill Cemetery and Mortuary, 7777 West 29th Avenue, Denver, CO, 80215.
Binnie, Lester H, Cemetery Records for Chester Township, Wabash County, Indiana, Revised Edition (North Manchester, 1983). Contains the Oaklawn Cemetery inscription for Foster McFann (part 1, page 58).
Contemporary Published Sources:
"North Manchester Cornet Band", transcribed from Helm, Thomas B., History of Wabash County, Indiana (1884), pages 284--5, by Linda Thompson.
Laura May McFann Probate File, Denver County Court No. 24173. Heirs: James P. McFann, husband; Daisie A. Hickey, daughter; Hattie B. McFann, daughter; Herschel B. McFann, son; Blanche M. McFann, daughter; Ralph G. McFann, son. Rita Timm looked up the record at the Denver County Court and sent me copies.
The famous McFann band, date unknown, from the collection of Wilber Van Scoik.
1. I am grateful to Rita Timm, a volunteer with Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness, for all her time and effort looking things up for me.
2. All information on this page was taken from the census records, unless otherwise noted below.
3. The full date of birth for Preston McFann was taken from the 1898 circular in his father's pension file.
4. Sources for the information on Asa B. McFann and Amanda Martin are on Asa B. McFann's Family Page.
5. The maiden name of Herschel's wife and their date of marriage, comes from a Colorado marriage record index. The information from the index was sent to me by Rita. The maiden name of Ralph's wife and their date of marriage is from the same source.
6. Dates of death for James P., Laura, Herschel, Blanche, Hattie, and Ralph are from the Crown Hill Cemetery inscriptions transcribed by Rita and from the Crown Hill Cemetery records. Dates of birth for Hattie and Ralph are from the Crown Hill Cemetery records. Hattie's year of birth is 1878 in the cemetery record and 1879 in the 1900 census. Laura's exact date of death is from her probate file (cited above).
7. The maiden name of James P. McFann's wife Laura (Knowles) came from Kathleen Gabriel, who is the granddaughter of Ralph G. McFann. She says that Laura was the daughter of John and Mary Knowles from Wayne township, Kosciusko County, IN. This information was passed down to her from her father.
8. Descendants of James Preston McFann include Kathleen Gabriel, granddaughter of Ralph G. McFann; Gary McFann, grandson of Herschel B. McFann; Robert McFann, son of Herschel McFann; Janet McFann Randall, granddaughter of Herschel B. McFann.
9. I am spelling Daisie's name as it appears in the her mother's probate records, because that is the most authoritative record that I have at this time.
Author: Brian McFann
Revised: 29 October 1999