Notes and Credits section below
for discussion of the evidence and citation of sources.
Full Name: Asa B. McFann
Father: Jonathan McFann
Mother: Nancy McClelland
Amanda A. Martin
Martha M. Hill
Children of Asa B. McFann and Amanda A. Martin:
Alexander Franklin McFann
Catharine M. McFann
James Preston McFann
John Dawson McFann
Laura J. McFann
Clara W. McFann
Lewis A. McFann
Thomas W. McFann
Sybil C. McFann
Martha E. "Mattie" McFann
Notes and Credits section below.
1830: assumed to be in the household of Jonathan McFann, Franklin township, Greene Co, PA (pg 433).
Application for Marriage License, Asa B. McFann and Martha Hill, no. 2224 (1896), Green County Court, Waynesburg, PA.
Indiana Marriages: 1851--1900, Family Archive CD 243, (Broderbund Software). Contains information from the marriage records for Catharine, Frank, John D., Laura J., and Martha McFann. The information was extracted for me by a lookup volunteer from the Genealogy CD List.
Wabash County Marriages: 1835--1899, compiled by Larry and Cynthia Scheuer (Warsaw, IN: Scheuer Publications, 1996). Contains the information from the Wabash County record books for the marriages of Frank McFann to Mary E. Clemens, Catharine McFann to Oscar S. Williams, Laura J. McFann to Melvin O. Lower, and Martha McFann to Levi Bonewitz, including the book and page number of the original records. Linda Thompson looked up these records and sent me the information.
Abstracts: Bender Funeral Home, North Manchester, Indiana: 1922--1981, Edited by Linda Robertson (Wabash, IN: Wabash Carnegie Public Library, 1983). Contains records for Catharine Williams and Laura Jane Lower. Linda Thompson looked up these records and sent me the information.
Death Certificate, Asa B. McFann, no. 198 (1912), Indiana State Department of Health, Indianapolis, IN.
Death Certificate, Mrs Catherine Williams, no. 19096 (1935), Indiana State Department of Health, Indianapolis, IN.
Military Pension Records:
Asa B. McFann's Pension Records, National Archives, Soldier's Certificate 242247
Binnie, Lester H, Cemetery Records for Chester Township, Wabash County, Indiana, Revised Edition (North Manchester, 1983). Contains the Oaklawn Cemetery inscriptions for Asa B., Amanda A., Lewis A., Minnie, Grayzilla, and T. W. McFann; L. Frank and Martha E. [McFann] Bonewitz; Melvin O. and Laura J. [McFann] Lower; and Catherine [McFann] Williams.
Asa B. McFann obituary, Wabash Plain Dealer, Wabash IN, Monday, 4 November 1912, page 4, column 1. Linda Thompson looked up this obituary and sent me a copy.
Asa B. McFann obituary, Waynesburg-Republican [complete citation not available; see Note 3 below].
Amanda McFann obituary, Wabash Weekly Courier, Wabash IN, Friday, November 6, 1885, page 3, column 3. Linda Thompson looked up this obituary and sent me a copy.
Marriage announcement, Asa B. McFann to Amanda Martin, Waynesburg Messenger, 1848 [complete citation not available; see Note 6 below].
Contemporary Published Sources:
"North Manchester Cornet Band", transcribed from Helm, Thomas B., History of Wabash County, Indiana (1884), pages 284--5, by Linda Thompson.
Bibles and Diaries:
Transcription of family records from Asa B. McClelland's Bible, found in Levi R. McFann's pension file. Includes the date of birth for Asa B. McFann.
Deaths Mentioned in the P. H. Bolinger Diary, 1881--1899, on the Wabash County, Indiana Genealogy web site. The page lists items found in the diary, including dates of burial for Lewis and Thomas McFann, and for a Mrs John P. McFann (buried 9-10-1887) which possibly refers to John D. McFann's first wife.
See the court records listed on Nancy McClelland's Family Page.
Laura J. (McFann) Lower and Amanda (Martin) McFann, date unkown, photograph in the possession of Gene Goff, scanned by his daugher, Anne Lipp.
The famous McFann band, date unknown, from the collection of Wilber Van Scoik.
1. I am grateful to Linda Thompson for all her time and effort looking things up for me.
2. Lloyd Roupe has suggested that Asa B. McFann's middle name may be Brown because he had a first cousin named Asa Brown McClelland, his grandmother's maiden name was Brown, and it was common practice at the time and place to give family names as middle names. My grandfather told me that Asa B. McFann's middle name was Ben.
3. Asa B. McFann's date and place of birth is given on his 1907 Declaration for Pension. His date of birth is also given on his death certificate. His date of death, place of death, and place of burial are taken from his death certificate. I was able to write for his death certificate because Lloyd Roupe supplied me with the date and place of his death. Roupe extracted this information from an obituary in the Waynesburg-Republican; he did not supply the full text of the obituary or a complete citation.
4. Dates of death for Amanda A McFann, Lewis A. McFann, Minnie McFann, and Grayzilla McFann were taken from the Oaklawn Cemetery inscriptions published in Binnie, Lester H. Cemetery Records for Chester Township, Wabash Co, IN (North Manchester, 1983). The information was sent to me by Wabash County lookup volunteer Teri Pettit.
5. Asa B. McFann identified his parents as Jonathan and Nancy McFann on his 1896 Marriage Licence. A copy of the marriage license was sent to me by Joan Egan (who got it from Richard M. Hughes). Asa B. McFann's death certificate identifies his father as Jonathan McFann and his mother as Nancy McClellan.
6. The date of Asa B. McFann's marriage to Amanda Martin was extracted from a notice in the Waynesburg Messenger by Lloyd Roupe. Roupe did not supply the original text or a complete citation. Amanda Martin's date of birth was calculated from the Oaklawn Cemetery record.
8. Martha Hill's middle initial, place of birth, date of death, and place of burial were extracted from her obituary in a Greene County newspaper by Lloyd Roupe. Roupe did not supply the original text or a complete citation. Roupe reported her date of death as 12 May, but the 1912 letter from the Soldiers' Home Post Office, found in Asa B. McFann's pension file, gives her date of death as 2 May.
9. Asa B. McFann was asked to give the names and dates of birth of his living children on the 1898 circular in his pension file. He listed Frank A., Katharine M., James P., John D., Laura J., Clara W., Sybil C., and Mattie E. Dates of birth for Lewis A., Minnie, and Grayzilla were calculated from the Oaklawn Cemetery inscriptions. The dates of birth and death for Thomas W. McFann, and the date of death for Martha E. McFann, were taken from the Oaklawn Cemetery inscriptions. Places of birth for all of Asa B. McFann's children were inferred from census records. I have assumed that Maria, listed in the 1860 census, is Minnie; and Sarah, listed in the 1880 census is Sybil.
10. Date of marriage and name of spouse for Catharine, Frank (first marriage), John D. (second marriage), and Laura J. were taken from Indiana Marriages: 1851--1900 (cited above) with the help of a lookup volunteer from the Genealogy CD List. No marriage records could be found in the index for Clara, Preston, or Sybil McFann.
11. Date of death for Catharine Williams was taken from her death certificate (cited above) and is corroborated by the Bender Funeral Home record (cited above) and her Oaklawn cemetery inscription.
12. Sources for the information on Franklin, Preston, John, Laura, and Martha can be found on their Family Pages.
Author: Brian McFann
Revised: 27 October 1999